Pages

Saturday, December 2, 2023

Bursts and Bubbles

The catalytic aspect of student learning my inquiry focused on this year was will a focus on spelling conventions foster an environment where word consciousness strengthens connections to the learning?

I identified this as my focus when I noticed while observing students from past years and noticing the actions of our learners this year stop writing completely as well as stop reading and avoid sharing back to the class when they lose the connection to words needed to continue to make sense of the learning. 

To build a rich picture of my students' learning I used T1 and T4 spelling tests, eAsttle writing samples and student voice.

The main patterns of student learning I identified in the profiling phase were the need of my students to expand their vocabulary and feel confident when they felt they wanted to use that word and know how to spell it or at least try to spell it. 

My profiling of my own teaching showed that I had strengths in co-constructing with my students to achieve what areas of vocabulary needed to be looked at to give them the courage to use new words.  But that my students would likely make more progress if I developed in committing to understand where they have come from and what their aspirations are going forward and how I can assist them in that.

The changes I made in my teaching were to listen to what my students wanted to learn and how they wanted to learn, rather than preconceived ideas of what I thought they needed to spell correctly. One major thing I have learnt is to ask for help if you find yourself lost throughout the inquiry process and break it down into smaller more manageable pieces.

The expertise that helped me what changes to make were conversations with Robyn Anderson.  One of the best pieces of advice she gave me after using a resource was to make it your own then you have ownership and understanding.

Overall I would rate the changes in student learning as they have more confidence within themselves to try new vocabulary.  The evidence for my rating is that their in class reading improved as well as their Probe scores, along with eAstle and Spelling test increases.

The most important learning I made about my focus of student learning was that there are many ways to skin a cat but the most effective way is to co-construct and have meaningful conversations. The most important learning I made about inquiry was that you might start at a certain point wanting to reach a certain point but it does not always work out that way. Change is good, and inevitable to be able to progress. Some learnings that would be relevant to other teachers are to ask for help when you need it and to be flexible with where you want your lessons to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment